[hpsdr] Epi idea

Chris Salinas n0ttw at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 11:57:35 PDT 2007

Tony Langdon <vk3jed at gmail.com> wrote:
>Another thing, it would be nice to have at least the full 4 MHz range
>of 2m in the transverter, possibly even more, if there is any intent
>to use it as an IF for higher bands.  And the IF for the transverter
>could be anywhere.  Is it better to have it in or out of a ham band?

With software, I couldn't see why this couldn't be possible. At least have the ability of the LO in the transverter to change frequency to provide the full 4 meg range. But it would be a lot easier (I think) to go 28-32 Mhz via Penelope and Mercury.

>Full duplex would be nice.  Satellite work is normally crossband
>though.  Full duplex on 2m in this instance is probably going to be
>most useful for L/V, L/S and higher microwave bands, where the 2m I/O
>is being used as an IF.

That's the idea of separating the TX and RX of the transverter to provide this cross-band function. Especially since Penelope and Mercury are separate themselves. Plus the TX or RX could have the ability to be bypass.

I think it should call it an IF Upconverter (IFU) instead of a transverter so we can reduce confusion.

73's Chris N0TTW