[hpsdr] whoops

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 17:06:54 PDT 2007

Just two points:

1) Your Mac will work very well for SDR.  There is plenty of
good open source, free software that runs on Mac OS X.

2) You do not need expensive equipment to "Play SDR"
Look up up the SoftRock40.  The kits are $10.  and
will send data into a sound card, eve a Mac sound card.

On another list I just read instructions on how to modify
a television capture card.  These are intended to put a
TV picture in a window on a PC but they have tunners
and ADC chips and sell for cheap.  This guy pulled off
some parts soldered on some coax and wrote a driver to
import raw ADC values at something like 10Msps (8-bits)
For a junk box SDR not bad.

You can work with any budget and any kind of computer
you want to.  Personally I think I'm going to pass on the Janus
board.  It does not do much more then my M-Aduio Deleta
card that I have in my PowerMac G4.  I'm waiting for a
system that can do tens of mega-samples per second

--- junque2 <junque2 at hughes.net> wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm a lurker of sorts to this group, reading each message and
> learning more about SDR and what the various chips on the boards do,
>
> how you go about designing and developing the hardward and software
> for such a project as hpsdr, etc.... It has really been exciting and
>
> fascinating for someone as ignorant about such wonders as I have
> been.
> But I now find myself in a situation where I must retreat a little:
>
> I had gone ahead and purchased the Janus and Ozy boards even though I
>
> do not own the SDR1000.  I was hoping to purchase the SDR1000 and a
> PC capable of handling the software with ease.  (I mainly use Macs
> and my only PC is woefully inadequate for the job)  Now that the
> SDR1000 is to be discontinued, it looks like I will not be able to do
>
> what I had planned (I was still about 6-8 months away from saving up
>
> to the purchase price).  So... I have decided to back out of the SDR
>
> world until a later time.  Meanwhile, the Janus and Ozy boards,
> already paid for, but of course, not yet delivered, will not be of
> much use to me as I really need to save my money for a much longer
> time before purchasing an SDR radio.  Does anyone out there wish to
> purchase a set of already built boards, to be delivered as soon as
> they are sent to me?  I only need my cost back out of them, and all I
>
> can do at this time is promise to deliver them when they are
> delivered to me.  I do not need to take any money in advance, -- I
> only need to have a guarantee that you will purchase them when they
> are delivered sometime in the latter part of May, or early part of
> June.
> I will still lurk on this site, learning all about these wonders
> (which are beyond my total comprehension, but still fascinating to
> me) and maybe someday later, I will join the SDR group of pioneers --
>
> not in the first wave of explorers, but in the second or third wave
> in the future. Meanwhile, I continue to support TAPR as a member and
>
> have the greatest admiration for all of you so involved in the
> exciting design and production of this cutting edge.
>
> W4ISH
> Bill

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com