[hpsdr] New Mercury block diagram

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Tue Apr 17 11:29:18 PDT 2007

Hello Chuck!
> I have a request to make for the block diagrams. It really doesn't help me
> too much to just see a block labelled "FPGA". Could we make the diagram more
> of a functional diagram? I'd love to see labels like "programmable
> decimation (x to y)", CIC filter width, compensation filter, etc...

Good point.

It is for this very reason that the projects are gradually adding a
second block diagram. The first one is functional from a physical
perspective.  It's hardware, you can't change it easily. So, "FPGA" is
descriptive and accurate.

The second block diagram is the Verilog code which is *implemented* in
the FPGA.  This is subject to change - a lot! - so has its own drawing.

See the Janus, Ozy and Penelope pages in the wiki for examples of this.

73,

Lyle KK7P

PS - If you're eyes are getting as old as mine, if you tilt your head a
little slightly defocus, the diagrams merge... LJ