[hpsdr] A/D

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 06:37:43 PDT 2007

Hi Leon, All,

Not sure if I understand you correctly.

As far as I know and understand there is no principal difference in sampling
requirements for a signal in an digital oscilloscope for a signal at 30 MHz
or an SSB signal in an SDR at 30 MHz.

For an SDR receiver the HF signal will be first sampled at 30 MHz, the same
as for the scope.
After this the stream of samples in an SDR will usually be digitally down
converted (DDC) to a lower sample rate.
The lower sample rate being such that it will both accommodate for a
practical size for further processing as well as the bandwidth required for
say a 196 KHz band segment. (For e.g. transport to and final processing and
display in a PC)

I don't know how a scope would further digitally process the signal after
the initial A/D conversion.
I could imagine a similar process (DDC) as in an SDR.

Not sure though if a continuous sampling process would always be required or
would be implemented in a (cheaper-) digital scope!

I think it would be correct and practical to say that if you can
CONTINUOUSLY sample a signal of a maximum frequency of 30 MHz (60 Ms/s
sample rate / sample frequency 60 MHz) you have a bandwidth of 30 MHz?

73's,

Henry.