[hpsdr] sampling

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 17:56:43 PDT 2007

Jeroen/Tony/All

Two years ago, Phil presented "A Median Noise Blanker in Nine Lines of Code"
it really was an 'eye opener' for me about what SOFTWARE can do which
hardware cannot do on it's own. Phil's presentation style and expertise
keeps the beginner and expert alike involved, in an "Easy Read". He really
is an educator and a master experimenter, which is the very foundation on
what HPSDR is built. He was THE very first 'beginning' of HPSDR and I think
he is having FUN!, while helping us all to understand it a little better! He
is, and has been on Teamspeak Saturday forum almost since it's beginning
almost 3 years ago. He STOPS and answers questions from everyone, and
'dumbs' it down for folks like me, and I end up saying "Ah HA!"

Yes, we will be broadcasting live on Teamspeak from Dayton, if we indeed do
have a good Internet connection from the Forum. Yes, we will be recording
everything SDR related, on Video and Audio for later post, on
www.hamsdr.com. As moderator of the SDR forum, I hope that EVERYONE comes so
you can meet our OUTSTANDING Contributors! Phil N8VB, Tony KB9YIG, Bill
KD5TFD will also be visiting!

Also Don't miss:

Rocky, a View From Inside and Outside Alex Shovkoplyas - VE3NEA

This presentation will focus on the differences between the hardware and
software-defined radios, using Rocky Software and SoftRock as an example.
The "Inside" part of the presentation will show that digital signal
processing allows the developer to implement many functions that are
difficult or impossible to implement in the hardware. However, the new
possibilities offered by DSP require new solutions. Attempts to build an SDR
as a model of a hardware radio do not work well.
The "Outside" part, will compare the user interfaces of hardware and
software radios. While the controls of the hardware transceivers are
implementation-oriented (reflect the internal structure of the radio), the
interface of an SDR can and should be made task-oriented: more intuitive and
easy to use, optimized for the maximum productivity of operator's work.

Thanks
Eric - AA4SW

Dear Eric,

Does the abstract, you mention, refer to his new presentation or to the
one from 2 years ago?

Maybe, if you (or someone else) is going to the Dayton Hamvention, could
ask Phil to make his presentation available on the internet for the
HPSDR community?!

Thanks, 73s Jeroen PE1RGE