[hpsdr] ALEX - Input protection

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:42:10 PDT 2007

Hi Tommy, All,

Tommy, I do have the same problem, keeping track of who said what and
where..... ;-)
On the subject now.....

As far as I understand it, I think that what you would be aiming for would
ideally be a device with

- zero response time (0 nsec) and
- infinite current sinking capability
- a clamping voltage equal to the breakdown voltage regardless of the
current being sinked

when the breakdown voltage is reached.

This is of course not realistic in a real world.
Not sure but I think the capacitance slows down the response time (the
EMI-pulse would have to charge the capacitor first up to the breakdown
voltage?) and you would like it therefore to be as low as possible?
Or would you like to have it as low as possible to have it not shunt the RF
input too much (Low C = High Xc)? In any way, it shouldn't be "visible" in
normal operation, as if it weren't there.

The limited current sinking capability of course causes the device to blow
up if a too high current passes through the device when the breakdown
voltage is reached.
And I think an increased current sinking capability goes with a higher
capacitance value?

So I think you have to make a compromise in selecting a device; required
response time or capacitance versus the required amount of current it can
sink, depending on your particular situation.
This is I think also the reason why in the receiver that Frank describes you
can choose for different numbers of diodes/transzorbs configurations?

But paralleling devices gives you besides higher current sinking also higher
capacitance values.
Anti-paralleling (one diode reverse and parallel to the other diode) gives
you protection for positive and negative pulses and I think would double
capacitance.
Putting them in series will give a lower capacitance but a higher breakdown
and clamping voltage I think.

I agree with you that another practical consideration could be the
availability and pricing of the parts.

I know these are not hard answers to your questions, but I hope it maybe
helps a little in understanding the matter.
Others please comment also, as I'm not really familiar with the technology
involved in this field.

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/es154/lectures/lecture_2/breakdown/bre
akdown.html

I'm learning also....again! ;-)