[hpsdr] Pico-ITX as possible processor for HPSDR?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 16:07:12 PDT 2007

--- Chris Salinas <n0ttw at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > I've worked with VIA ITX boards before. The processor on this
> mentioned board could be compared to a 1+Ghz Celeron (P3 Type). I
> haven't been impressed with these boards for serious work on a
> personal level.
>
>   There is a small review on the website for this board...
> http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/pico-itx/default.asp?page=9. You
> might want to read that. I guess Linux doesn't work on it at the
> moment (for those writing linux software).
>
>   I do wonder what it would take to design a dedicated computer to
> control SDR that would plug into the Atlas backplane.  Wouldn't need
> any sound capability for sure.

The new Yaesu FT-450 is an SDR although they don't market it as such.
What they do say is the they digitize the signal at the IF stage
and do all further processing including demodulation and filters
digitally.  Sound like SDR to me.  The FT-450 uses an Analog
Devices "Blackfin".  The neat thing about the Blackfin is that (1)
the hole thing sell for between $14 and $28.  Compared to a
"pico ITX" the AD chip is almost free.

I think the way to design an SDR processor is to split the job in half
Use one chip to handle DSP and an other to drive the user interface.
They are two very different jobs

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org