[hpsdr] High Performance DDS Oscillator source?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Aug 13 13:53:11 PDT 2007

Tayloe Dan-P26412 wrote:

> I have an idea that I want to try out that requires a DDS with a very
> low phase noise.  I was looking at AD9954, which performs best with a 1x
> frequency source.  I am sure that I have seen this come up before, but
> did not pay much attention to it.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a very low phase noise oscillator
> for this chip and a place that I can get it from?

Dan, this might not be right on point, but I did some phase noise
measurements of an SDR-1000 when driven with different reference sources
including the standard 200 MHz oscillator.  Results weren't quite what
might be expected in that relatively low noise 10 MHz oscillators didn't
perform much worse than the 200 MHz source, despite the multiplication,
and at close offsets could be much better.  Don't know whether that
holds with other DDS parts, though.

Anyway, here's a link to the results:
http://www.febo.com/pages/hf_phase_noise/index.html

73,