[hpsdr] Hpsdr Digest, Vol 18, Issue 14

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 18:41:16 PDT 2007

--- Charles Greene <w1cg at cox.net> wrote:

> Chris and All,
>
> Isn't the Ten Tec Omni-VII about the same?  I heard it has a 11.25KHZ
> IF.

I just read the specs.  It's a three stage IF at 70Mhz, 455khz and
14Khz. (I think they are stretching it to call 14K "IF")
and much of the filtering is analog.  They don't talk about their
processor.  Possably there is a schematic in a user manual?

The FT-450 is cheaper I think because everything is done in software
and the RF part is simpler

I only used the FT-450 to place a lower bound on the processor for SDR.
It shows the job can be done with a 400Mhz 16-bit processor.  If Ten
Tec uses an even lower powered processor that would be very
interresting but somehow I suspect (or guess) it has at least two
processors inside.

Someone complained that 16-bits is not enough dynamic range but we
should all remember that a 16-bit machine can handle numbers of any
size just like we can multiply large numbers using pencil and paper one
digit at a time 16-bit computers can process 64 or 32 bit numbers 16
bits at a time.

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org