[hpsdr] Blackfin 32*32 bits multiply

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan vu3rdd at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 02:10:38 PDT 2007

On 8/22/07, Robert M. Ganter HB9DNN <hb9dnn at gmx.net> wrote:

> IMHO we should look at the whole *system*, not just the DSP.
>
> I'd therefore ask the following questions:
> - What are the requirements needed for an SDR with two 24bit/192kSPS
> input data streams (MMACs/s, memory for data, coefficients, etc.)
> - Is 32bit hardware needed or could it be done with 16bit hardware and
> libraries?
> - Fixed point <-> floating point? I'd go for fixed point, but there
> might be arguments for floating point

Robert,

Good questions. I too had similar questions to ask.

Why do we need a floating point processor for narrow band SDR? Yeah, I
know the answer "more dynamic range". I am looking for a more specific
answer. Where exactly are the dynamic range issues coming in? Energy
calculations? Can't we do with 16 bit samples?

There is atleast one SDR project which uses a far low horse power
16-bit DSP to do SDR - Pic-A-Star and the users rave about its recieve
capabilities.

73
Ramakrishnan, VU3RDD