[hpsdr] Blackfin 32*32 bits multiply

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Wed Aug 22 13:10:56 PDT 2007

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:

> Why do we need a floating point processor for narrow band SDR?

Algorithmic generality and flexibility.

> Yeah, I
> know the answer "more dynamic range". I am looking for a more specific
> answer. Where exactly are the dynamic range issues coming in? Energy
> calculations? Can't we do with 16 bit samples?

IIR filter coefficients, for example. There are certain classes of
Butterworth filters you can't realize using 16-bit fixed point because
of the dynamic range of the coefficients. This is especially unfortunate
when the processor forces you to rely *more* on IIR and *less* on FIR
filters.

73
Frank
AB2KT