[hpsdr] Cyclops update

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Tue Dec 4 05:08:43 PST 2007

Update:  4 December 2007

Bill, KD5TFD,  and I have successfully modified the necessary software,
based on
MercScope,  to  display a 48-51MHz chunk of spectrum from Mercury.

This represents a working proof of concept as far as the IF is concerned.

We have also tested a simulated input to the IF so that the PC code
development
can progress whist we are developing the hardware.

Considerable feedback has indicated that basing the software
design on C# and Windows based tools was not particularly popular :)
There was strong support for a cross platform approach.

In which case further development will  be undertaken using  Java for the
GUI
(including OpenGL), C/C++ for the processing logic and dttSP for the
signal processing.

Tom, N4WBS, has agreed to be lead programmer  and I am delighted to welcome
him to the project.
I am sure Tom would appreciate other programmers input so feel free to
volunteer!

I have also looked at using a higher 2nd IF, 96MHz rather than 50MHz.
This will further relax the specification of the GHz first IF filter
and the availability of high performance SAW filters at 96MHz
will provide sufficient 2nd IF image rejection. The performance of
Mercury at this frequency (an alias response) is totally acceptable.

73's Phil...VK6APH