[hpsdr] GPS Receiver

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 21:42:56 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 10:54 PM, Phil Harman <phil at pharman.org> wrote:

> I'm looking for a GPS receiver with a 1pps output suitable as a source
> for my 10MHz GPS locked reference. I came across this new Garmin
> receiver - looks very nice physically but not sure if the 1pps spec at
> ~1uS is satisfactory.
>
> The device is a GPS 18 and the spec is here

The GPS 18 units are popular Garmin OEM GPS units designed for
navigation. It is also reasonable old. I suspect you can find a
cheaper and more accurate SiRF III based module. Just ensure it has
the PPS output, many don't.

You should be able to do better than 100ns accuracy with the M12M
Timing, if you want.

Three precision time units that are fairly affordable are the i-Lotus
M12M Timing, which is the most recent in the Motorola OnCore line
(after MOT's GPS group was sold off I believe) and for US/Canada they
are available from Syngery GPS
<http://www.synergy-gps.com/content/view/20/31/>, i-Lotus' website
<http://www.ilotus.com.sg/>. Trimble has a OEM modules called
Resolution T, I believe they are available in single quantitiesfor
less than $100 USD. <http://www.trimble.com/resolutiont.shtml>. u-blox
sells a LEA-4T module for timing as well.
<http://www.u-blox.com/products/lea_4t.html>. Older Motorola OnCore
units (UT, UT+, and  M12+ Timing) can be found on eBay as well.

-Michael, VE3TIX