[hpsdr] A nasty RM with the FCC it seems

rjairam at gmail.com rjairam at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 05:28:44 PST 2007

I think I will support this petition.

If you've ever had a CW or PSK31 QSO crashed by WinLink, which seems
to be getting wider and popping up like mushrooms everywhere.

Its no surprise that Bonnie is pushing to get this petition squashed.

I like digital but the sailboat owners can pay for Sailmail for all I
care.  WinLink and Pactor does not play nice with its neighbors.

On 12/26/07, Naylor Jonathan <naylorjs at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I received this e-mail this morning, and although it's not strictly SDR
> related I think there is an overlap in the people interested in both
> facets of the hobby.
>
> Jonathan G4KLX

> A terrible petition now at FCC USA seeks to eliminate all advanced ham
> radio digital data modes such as ALE, PACTOR3, Olivia, MT63, OFDM, fast
> PSK, MFSK and others.
>
> We only have a few days, by January 1, to respond and kill it.
>
> Only you can save ALE, by your comments to FCC.
> It only takes a few minutes on the web.
>
> Click here, enter proceeding, RM-11392 and your commments:
> http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi
>
> Fill in the appropriate parts of the form, then write your comments in
> the lower part "Send a Brief Comment to FCC (typed-in)"
>
> Here are suggested examples of comments, below. Don't let FCC kill
> digital data on ham radio.
>
> 73 Bonnie KQ6XA
> ============ ===
> Feel free to copy and paste any (or all) of these into your comments.
>
> 1. I oppose the RM-11392 petition by Mark A. Miller seeking to change
> Amateur Radio Service automatically controlled data stations and
> narrower bandwidths on HF.
>
> 2. The RM-11392 petition is very bad for the Amateur Radio Service.
>
> 3. The RM-11392 petition seeks to destroy 21st century digital data
> technology advancement in the Amateur Radio Service. Please do not turn
> back the clock on digital data to the 20th century.
>
> 4. The RM-11392 petition's proposed 1.5kHz bandwidth limit on data
> emission is too narrow for established international standard
> transmissions and equipment bandwidths used by the Amateur Radio
> Service.
>
> 5. The RM-11392 petition is an attempt to kill innovation, technology
> advancement, and emergency data communications in the Amateur Radio
> Service. Please do not let this happen.
>
> 6. The FCC Amateur Radio Service's automatically controlled data
> sub-bands are already too narrow for the huge volume of traffic that
> runs on them. If a limit of 1.5kHz bandwidth is applied, it will
> severely hamper the ability of amateur radio operators to share these
> small band segments efficiently through rapid data methods.
>
> 7. There is a huge installed base of Amateur Radio Equipment, and
> millions of dollars of monetary investment by thousands of Amateur
> Radio Operators that use HF digital data systems with more than 1.5kHz
> bandwidths. This investment by FCC-licensed operators would be taken
> away or rendered useless if the objectives of the RM-11392 petition
> were to be adopted.
>
> 8. Several of the primary established HF emergency communications
> networks currently in service and utilized by thousands of Amateur
> Radio Operators in USA would be totally eliminated or hobbled if the
> objectives of the RM-11392 petition were to be adopted.

> [...]

Ryan A. Jairam,