[hpsdr] Janus/Ozy sandwhich?

Joe - AB1DO ab1do at optonline.net
Tue Feb 20 09:31:09 PST 2007

Thinking about the janus/ozy combo specifically used with the SDR-1000 and how best to efficiently (from a space required point of view) mate them I have the following questions:

The Atlas board is designed to hold 6 modules, which seems total overkill if only 2 are going to be used. Is it possible to mount only the two connectors closest to the power connector and cut the Atlas board beyond the second connector to create a shortened Atlas dedicated to holding only these 2 modules? If so, where best should the board be cut?

Along those same lines (and this may be way off base - spatial visualization is not my forte) is it possible to do without Atlas by replacing the euro-connectors on the Ozy and Janus boards by 2 straight (not 90 degree) connectors, one male and one female, and mate them directly? To match up the pins, one of the boards would need the connector mounted on "the other other side" of the board. Is there room on the board to allow for this? Will the holes in the board line up correctly for a straight connector?

Of course, power would also need to be fed correctly to the boards, but could this not be accomplished by connecting the +12V, -12V, +5V and ground lines to the appropriate pins on one of the boards?

I understand that TAPR will only manufacture boards designed to connect to Atlas, so even if it were possible to directly mate the boards by removing the mounted connectors and replacing them with straight connectors, a shortened Atlas may be a better option?

Just thinking out loud. Would appreciate some comments from those with boards.

73 de Joe - AB1DO

Configuration:
Dell Dimension 4700 /w 3GHz P4 HT + 1GB DDR2 SDRAM + Intel 915G Express + XPHomeSP2
SDR-1000 + RFE + 100W PA
Delta-44 + Break-out kit