[hpsdr] SDR Dynamiic Range Considerations

Rob Frohne frohro at wwc.edu
Tue Feb 20 13:02:26 PST 2007

Hi Bob, et. al.,

When you state below that the SDR-1000 does have a roofing filter, are
you are referring to the first order RC filter from charging the
capacitors for the sample and hold, and/or the low pass filter in the
sound card?  It seems from Tom Rauch's tests (see the cross post on this
reflector entitled, "I wonder how HPSDR will affect this?"), that the
SDR-1000 needs a better roofing filter in order to be competitive to
those receivers using crystal roofing filters.  Perhaps Tom's
observations and Phil's below both indicate that the SDR-1000 has some
of the same problems you suggest Mercury and Quicksilver may have
because the roofing filter in the SDR-1000 is not as good as it could be
and/or because of the A/D converter voltage sensing input.

I think you do have a good point that the input to an A/D converter is
not the same as what we have been used to in a classical receiver.
While we may get wonderful 3rd or

I'm looking forward to reading more of Phil's tests.

73,

Rob, KL7NA

--
Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.