[hpsdr] Interesting math, etc.

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 21:43:08 PST 2007

I recently had called into question my statements concerning A/D and
blocking dynamic range results on systems where you have a fairly wide
front end since people I have an immense amount of respect for (N8VB and
VK6APH) were getting results contrary to my beliefs based on measurements.

I was given some older opinions on the subject by Bill Sabin in some QEX
articles by Rick Campbell and others.   Their opinions (or experience)
are right but the reasoning given there is all wrong.  After Phil Harman
pointed out these articles and opinions to me and Phil Covington gave me
his recent results,  it dawned on me that I had seen applicable results
before but with a mathematical treatment that leads to understanding
rather than opinions which can leave one in doubt.

For years I have known about the work of Karl Meinzer, DJ4ZC, on the
additive sum  of multiple signals in a wide band.  He used this work to
derive his arguments for doing High Efficiency Linear Amplification by
Parametric Synthesis (HELAPS) which we have used for multiple decades in
AMSAT projects.  I will not bore you with the mathematical details here
but let me give you the "Bob synopsis" of the "standard  understanding
of multiple signals being added in an A/D".  THEY ARE COMPLETELY FULL OF
IT.   The thing that you should think of if you have any mathematical
training at all is that sums of independent random variables (a bunch of
uncorrelated signals being added up) approaches a Gaussian (white noise)
distribution and it does it pretty rapidly.  Meinzer's thesis even
derives results for this when the signals are a random mixture of tones,
ssb signals, digital signals, etc.  The envelopes rapidly approach a
well known statistical distribution that is well understood.   The
amount of time that one can spend above an A/D's clipping limit is so
small that it will have a very small impact on the performance so long
as it is accompanied by a reasonable BPF.  This is planned for the HPSDR
and Mercury / ATLAS system.

Back to practical from the land of Mathematical Bliss:  The "collective
understanding" about blocking dynamic range and A/D's which I have been
a party  to until recently, is largely off the mark.   I am now
expecting Mercury and QS1R to have excellent single and dual tone
results and much better than I expected before behavior on random large
signals over fairly wide bandwidths.

My apologies for taking the party line and not thinking.  I must be
getting old and tired since I used to question if 2+2 was 4 without a
proof just for the sake of having an argument which could then be
settled over a brewski!

73's
Bob
N4HY

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine