[hpsdr] Need help on deciding what exactly to order

Joe - AB1DO ab1do at optonline.net
Wed Feb 28 07:07:31 PST 2007

Hi guys,

I'm about to place my order for at least one Janus and one Ozy, but I need some help in assessing whether I need to order more or not.

I would like to use Ozy and Janus to work with my SDR-1000, for which I will need need one of each. The issue arrises as Mercury and some other exciting concepts come to fruition that I may or may not be interested in exploring. Assuming I do eventually order the Mercury and say the Penelope boards, I will need Ozy as well to have a functioning system. My question is the following:

Can I leave the Mercury and Penelope boards mounted to Atlas when I use my HPSDR (Ozy and Janus) to work with my SDR-1000, or do I need to remove them from Atlas first? As I understand it, I should be able to, as the software loaded into Ozy will tell it to only work with Janus and ignore anything else, right?

Stated alternatively, can I use my HPSDR (Ozy, Mercury, Penelope, ...) without removing Janus from Atlas? What I'm trying to assess here is whether it is just a matter of loading the correct software into Ozy (and other cards as required) for the desired functionality, or will the various (unexpected) signals on the Atlas bus interfer?

BTW, the same question holds for Mercury/Penelope versus Horton or Phoenix, or Phoenix, etc.

Thanks,
73 de Joe - AB1DO