[hpsdr] ozy / janus

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Tue Feb 13 16:12:19 PST 2007

> I wonder if usable code will be loaded into the FPGAs.

Janus has a CPLD and it will be loaded with a useful image that allows
it to function with the modified PowerSDR software.

Ozy has an FPGA and it has to be loaded each time you power up.
Normally,this would be done through the USB port, but there is also a
Flash configuration memory on Ozy that *may* be loaded with a runtime
image.  Ozy is intended to use the USB connection in normal operation,
so the FPGA's configuration Flash does not *need*to have any thing in it.

> I wonder if someone could tell us lurkers what the production units will
> do out of the box.

The intent is that they provide a high-end sound card equivalent to run
an SDR such as the SDR-1000.  The prototypes are running with SDR-1000
now...

> I'm thinking this would be a good project to expand my hackware skills.

Not sure what you want to hack, but Ozy is a good FPGA
development/learning tool, and Janus is a good ADC etc.

> Also what kind of tools will be required to read source code change compile
> and load different FPGA firmware.

The free Altera Quartus II tools are being used for FPGA development for
Ozy and CPLD development for Janus.  You need a computer that will run
these tools.  < URL:http://www.altera/com >

73,

Lyle KK7P