[hpsdr] ozy / janus

Christopher T. Day CTDay at LBL.Gov
Tue Feb 13 19:42:31 PST 2007

Disclaimer: I am not the one to make the final decisions and am not one
of the testers, so things might change a little, but I'd be surprised.

I believe the intent is to have the delivered boards work out of the box
with a modified version of PowerSDR supplied by Bill Tracey. Sample
rates of 48ksps, 96ksps, and 192ksps, 24-bits.

The CPLD on Janus is non-volatile and currently requires a JTAG
programming cable to flash it. However, the working code for the
PowerSDR application would, I presume, be left in the flash memory from
the testing process.

The FPGA on the Ozy board is volatile. There is a configuration EEPROM
on board that can be flashed to hold the PowerSDR code as one
possibility. Another option in use at the moment is to download the FPGA
over USB using a tool written by Bill Tracey and Phil Covington, if I
remember rightly, and invoked when PowerSDR starts up; this tool can
also be invoked by hand outside the context of PowerSDR.

The Ozy hardware was designed to allow it to use JTAG to program other
devices on the bus. Among other things, Bill is working on code to do
that via commands sent over USB. I don't know when that will be
finished. When it is, the Janus CPLD will be reloadable with no
additional hardware needed.

Tools:

Software - To read, change, compose, and compile alternate firmware, you
will need Altera's Quartus II Web Edition software - FREE. To download
firmware to Ozy's FPGA, use Bill's tool and USB - FREE. Once the Ozy
JTAG code is done, use a similar tool to download the Janus CPLD - FREE.
In the absence of the JTAG code, Quartus can use several JTAG download
cables to load the Janus CPLD directly - FREE for the software, anyway.
All Windows-based.

Hardware - The only case where additional hardware is needed to download
anything is possibly for the Janus CPLD, which is the smaller and
somewhat less interesting of the two anyway. If you have a computer with
a real parallel port - no USB/parallel adapters - there are
roll-your-own JTAG cable descriptions on the web for ~$20 or so. If you
only have USB available, there is the USB Blaster for ~$300, an outrage.
There is also a clone available from

< http://www.amboy.com/ssblaster.php >

for ~$150, only slightly less of an outrage. This is a great opportunity
for a small TAPR/HPSDR project. Interested parties might take a look at
the FTDI UM245R evaluation kit as a starting point. Comes with drivers.

            Chris - AE6VK

  _____