[hpsdr] Question on Janus access with upcoming library code

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 11:13:40 PST 2007

On 2/20/07, Ray Anderson <ray.anderson at xilinx.com> wrote:

> A question on the following for the list software Guru's: would it be
> feasible to write a Windows or Linux driver for Janus/Ozy such that the
> hardware appears as a soundcard to the O/S.
>

> From Bill's comments it sounds like the Janus library he is alluding to can
> be compiled into an application to allow that particular application access
> Janus. Could this same library (or a variant) be integrated into driver that
> could conceivable be used with other non-modified applications (say Rocky,
> or KGSDR)
>

> Thanks for any info!
>

> -Ray     WB6TPU

This is off the top of my head so take it for what it is worth...

It should be possible to make OZY/JANUS appear as a soundcard to
Windows by exposing certain interfaces that conform to USB sound
devices.  This would have to be done in the OZY FX2 firmware.  The
problem with this is that there are now certain command & control
functions that are send in-band with the I/Q data stream.  This would
make the above not possible since the data stream needs to be decoded
and the Windows USB sound device driver knows nothing about this.  If
the command & control data were moved out of the I/Q data stream and
sent to/from endpoint 0, I think it would be possible.  Bill T. might
want to comment on the feasibility of moving the command and control
data out of the I/Q stream.  I think there is some concern about CW
latency or PTT issues in doing this...

It probably would be easier to write a driver for Linux - maybe
someone with experience writing USB sound card drivers for Linux will
respond.

73 Phil N8VB