[hpsdr] Front End protection

Larry Taft ltaft at charter.net
Wed Feb 21 21:44:18 PST 2007

FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:

> I don't know which Greek God guarded the gate but how are we going to
> protect this fast A/D from static and lightning transients? Racal used
> an interesting active limiter ahead of the RA6830 because the older
> RA6790 had real bad burnout problems with the FETs in the first mixer.
> I would think we need more than a NE2 across the input.  Frank WA1GFZ
Drake used a small gas tube across the TR-7 input along with a RF
choke.  The weak link in the TR-7 is the PIN diode that switches the
calibrator signal into the receiver front end.  The first mixer seems to
hold up quite well.  Of course the schematic doesn't show the parts or
the values but I can find them.  They were a field fix.

73, Larry K2LT