[hpsdr] Front End protection

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Thu Feb 22 03:14:02 PST 2007

Hi Francis,

It wasn't a god, but a dog-like creature called Ceberus (if my memory
serves me well).

In my opninion a combination of resistors and diodes (to the power suply
lines) is the best solution. The resistors will limit the current and
provide some "soft clipping". By soft-clipping all sorts of distortion
generated by the receiver are avoided.

Regards, Jeroen PE1RGE

FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:

> I don't know which Greek God guarded the gate but how are we going to
> protect this fast A/D from static and lightning transients? Racal used
> an interesting active limiter ahead of the RA6830 because the older
> RA6790 had real bad burnout problems with the FETs in the first mixer.
> I would think we need more than a NE2 across the input.  Frank WA1GFZ

Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering
Electronic Instrumentation Laboratory