[hpsdr] EEPROM Programming

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 12:31:25 PST 2007

On 2/23/07, Ray Anderson <ray.anderson at xilinx.com> wrote:

> It looks like the SOIC adapters shown on this web page are the sort of
> thing you need to fixture a programmer for the 24LC128 parts:
>
> http://soic-adapter.com/Site/SOIC-programming-adapters,,,,,,,,,,,,,93S66
> .htm
>
> Kind of pricey though, $50 for a single socket. (these are industrial
> strength). There must be light-duty versions good for 500 or so
> insertions out there somewhere at a better price.
>
> Sounds like the pre-programmed from the vendor option is the way to go
> if you need 500 parts loaded.
>
> -Ray    WB6TPU

All that you really need is the SOIC8 pads and a way to hold the IC in
contact with the pads to do the programming.

I use one of these Surf Board prototyping boards (~$5):

<http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Capital%20Advanced/Web%20Photos/9082.jpg>

and a small toggle clamp (~$8) to hold it down:

<http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=5347684&PMT4NO=18662771>

I adjust the toggle clamp to just barely put any pressure on the top
of the IC - just enough to hold it in place on the SOIC8 pads on the
Surf Board above.  A couple of super-glued on plastic alignment pieces
makes for quick alignment of the IC.

Wire it up to OZY's I2C bus and use the 5 volts from the USB +5V
powered setup of OZY and you are good to go.

Phil N8VB