[hpsdr] PCR100 made it.

kd5nwa kd5nwa at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 23 16:08:20 PST 2007

This radio is supposed to be similar in performance but it has
missing functions such as a SSB detector.

I ordered a SoftRock from Tony and it uses sub-sampling with a 20M
crystal, see the note from him below;

Crystal X1 is 14.318 MHz which will give a center frequency of about 10.738
MHz. If the soundcard can sample at 96 kHz then the band coverage is from
about 10.690 MHz to about 10.786 MHz.
<<<<<<<

The one he is shipping to me has a lower frequency crystal (14.28x)
so the baseband is below 10.7MHz IF

At 03:12 PM 2/23/2007, you wrote:
>On 2/23/07, kd5nwa <kd5nwa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****
>>
>>At top notch receiver it's not(not even a moderate notch), and that
>>is why I refer to it as a toy, I can hear what I surmise as spurs at
>>different spots. Given that, I can pickup AM/FM,  weather, local
>>services and airport frequencies fairly well so it serves it's purpose.
>>
>>As I sit here at my desk reading, I have it in the background playing
>>classical music with the volume set low. It works better than the
>>FM/AM radio/alarm in terms of clarity and being able to pick up far
>>away stations, on FM I have to turn on the 20 dB attenuator to
>>prevent overload on local FM stations.
>
>I used to have a PCR-1000 a long time ago.  It had its problems (I
>remember it had some problems with strong signals) but overall I liked
>it.  I picked up that PCR-100 and got sidetracked on other things so I
>haven't really ever had it hooked up.  I am anxious to see what the IF
>looks like in PowerSDR... It looks like the 10.7 MHz IF is about 200
>kHz wide if I remember correctly.  I wonder how far along the 10.7 MHz
>Odyssey Siren is?  It might be easier just to find a 42.8(ish) MHz
>crystal for a SoftRock...
>
>Phil N8VB

Cecil Bayona
KD5NWA
www.qrpradio.com

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then
beat you with experience.'