[hpsdr] Enclosure/Form Factor, was Re: Call for Project Leaders

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 18:18:57 PST 2007

Ben - Sorry - Gotta get used to the nature of the Gmail!

Ben

I'll have to give a VERY brief 'thumbnail' sketch of about 2 to 3 months of
rather intense brainstorming and discussion. I think they are all in the
achieves.

Early on in the first month or so of the project, those assembled felt that
a buss structure of some sort was the way to go. Making the boards modular
and easier and less espensive to 'upgrade' or modify also using 'building
block' functions for efficiency.

Any number of 'off the shelf' buss type structures were discussed, including
ATX, MiniATX, Euro etc. Riser cards are quite inexpensive, and we would not
have to manufactured build or inventory any hardware.

After many discussions with no actual consensus, Phil Covington, went away
for a week or so did his magic, and had a completely laid out ATLAS board
when he returned! It wonderfully featured all the concepts we had been
discussing. It used the EuroCard din connectors for strength, durability,
and availablility. We had also decided that an inexpensive ATX power supply
could be used to supply almost any voltage we needed. After taking
suggestions for modifications, and testing 3 prototypes. Atlas was cast in
stone.

When the first OZY and Janus layouts were proposed, I had been away for a
couple of weeks. And when I looked, I more or less exclaimed to the list
that the connector was on the wrong side! It was strict 1U EuroCard form.
Allowing only one edge for the myriad of connections and connectors we had
been discussing. My concept had been that we would be putting it in a PC
enclosure. After a week or 2 of intense discussions, it was decided to go
away from the EuroCard form factor and essentially go to ATX form factors
allowing the use of PC enclosures, power supplies, case mounted indicators
etc. It would potentially allow for 3 edges of the card to be used for
connections. 1 to the 'outside world' at the rear of the enclosure, and 2
more on the inside world. The specs for the cards are published in Horst's
excellent documentation in the Atlas manual.

Off and On here, there have been discussions of enclosures, and power supply
mods etc. The board design allows for a lot of flexibility for choosing an
off the shelf solution. We also discussed custom cases, I think including
the enclosure used by Flex for the SDR-1000. Since we are just now getting
to the question of "What do I put it in?", it is probably time to do the
research again as we are waiting for our cards.

This list as you will see, has always been an informal place where folks can
and have really been thinking outside the box! As a result we are all
contributing in our own way and skill area, (or just learning for that
matter) to create REALLY innovative state of the art 'products' using open
source tools as much as possible. No formal peer review, no particular
rules, just open suggestion bread boarding and testing. Challenge response -
Googling, researching, then DO IT! All mixed in with some 'benevolent
dictators' to make decisions when they need to be made. We already know we
have he best electronics designers, and experts here and making comments.

I hope all who were around during the discussions not pick nits in my brief
very abbreviated dialog here. The actual discussions are a matter of record
for all who would like to review.

Sounds like you are working with and designing just what we are thinking a
REALLY flexible, cost effective custom solution.

We have a number of options for Polls, like Dale's website "interest" area
just used.

It just takes a project leader to get it started and probably a
Mythological, Cartoonish, name appropriate to the device function.

Go for it!
Eric