[hpsdr] Enclosure/Form Factor, was Re: Call for Project Leaders

Ben Hall kd5byb at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 24 17:00:24 PST 2007

Hi Eric and gang,

Thanks for the reply.  I listened to the presentation earlier this
afternoon and have been thinking about an enclosure since I wrote my
message below.

I'd really like it if you could fill me in on the form factor
discussions.  I'm very intrigued by the choices made - its a form factor
I immediately recognized from the modular data acquisition systems we
use at work by VXI Technologies.  (I work for the Army testing
turboshaft jet engines and aircraft components.)  You buy a chassis with
a backplane, power supply, and thermal management, and you plug in cards
as needed for the data you wish to collect and the controls you wish to
have.  It's an immensely flexible form factor.

I am going to put a a preliminary proposal together for an enclosure
over the next few weeks.  I've got some work I need to do before I'm
ready to propose it to the group:

1)  Understand the current form factor.  IE:  How big are the current
cards?  Power supply?  (I never knew there were such tiny little power
supplies on cards.  Neat-o!)

2)  Poll the community for future form factor growth paths.  Not just
size, but heat, etc...

3)  See if there is an off-the-shelf solution.  I doubt it.

4)  See if we can modify something.  IE:  Can we take a standard Ten-Tec
case, and with a few mods, use it?

5)  If 3 and 4 fail, start from scratch.

Once I get the above at least somewhat complete, I'll put it out for
review.  Being such a newbie here, I'm *sure* it's going to be riddled
with errors.

thanks and 73,
ben, KD5BYB