[hpsdr] Card dimensions, current and future.

Don AE5K don at ae5k.us
Mon Feb 26 17:42:15 PST 2007

Ben Hall wrote, On 02/26/2007 07:15 PM:

>> I'll see if we can figure some easy way to do picts which are easy to do.
>> The reflector does not allow size for graphics etc. Uploads to Hamsdr get a
>> little difficult to index.
>
> We could always start a Yahoo Group as a files/photo storage area, or
> perhaps this is the perfect opportunity for me to rehab my QTH.net
> webpage...

Some points here...

1. Reflector (HPSDR Discussion List) permits photo attachments, etc. but
is limited presently to 90 KBytes total/message.  You can get some
pretty good photos compressed with jpg easily to that size, especially
if the sender takes some care to crop the photo and resize to a
reasonable viewing size.  It is somewhat a pain to see the photos if
user is in daily digest mode -- but that is their choice and usually for
very good reason.

2. QTH.net is agonizingly S-L-O-W much of the time.  It is also subject
to "not working" often.

3. Yahoo Groups limit the storage space for photos and they will be each
rather small in viewing size.  There is a resistance on the part of many
hams to "Yahoo" -- some for very good reasons.

4. Our HPSDR wiki is available for these purposes and with log in priv.
it is quite easy to upload photos and other files.  We have essentially
unlimited storage space for all practical purposes, although it is still
best to do some cropping/resizing of photos as it reduces download time
for those with slower connections.  Files like pdf can also be uploaded
to the wiki.  Some of the principals of HPSDR have avoided using the
wiki for this purpose, especially if they have their own website --
which is fine since they can put a link on the wiki to their web pages
and probably control them a little better.

There are other options.

73,
Don AE5K