[hpsdr] Pandora's Box

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 15:57:38 PST 2007

<snip>
thanks much and 73,
ben, KD5BYB

Ben!

It looks like you really did open Pandora's box! Actually she was an "All
gifted" woman, and Zeus made her do what she did! We don't have a Zeus yet!

	SO

Why don't we forget the Box and rescue Pandora. Already she has released her
'misery' here! Larry wants everything front mounted, my wife wants all the
'ugly stuff' rear mounted, Cecil suggested side mounted others below the
table, some top shelf. Horst illustrated a home brew rack mount. So far the
commenters have NOT agreed on ANYTHNIG box related. Most liked Pandora!

I spent lunch searching through hundreds of Computer boxes. Last year I
spent hours and hours Googling out the myriad of off the shelf extrusions,
enclosures, even Rose Bopla custom enclosures. TenTec, FlexRadio were also
in there! I never did find anything which had EXACTLY 6 slot openings.

I think the best you are going to get a consensus on is a really well
thought out, brainstormed, L shaped subchassis, with 6 slots, perhaps with a
slide in strip with 'grounding fingers' across the top to provide support
and grounding. Just large enough to add screw mounts at each vertical corner
and some surplus side to side and in back to mount cable management etc. The
outside facing logo could say "Pandora" with a little block off to one side
with arrow pointing (or down) saying "User Supplied Box".

That way Horst can draw 2 more rails and suspend Pandora in 'mid-air' Larry
can carve out a hole in the front, I can mount it on PCBoard stock, or
modified Gamer enclosure and someone can come up with a neat masonite
enclosure '50's style'.

Just brainstorming here.

Eric