[hpsdr] Pandora's Box

Ben Hall kd5byb at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 28 19:15:54 PST 2007

Eric Ellison wrote:

Hi Eric and group!

> It looks like you really did open Pandora's box!

That's okay!  I wanted input from the user community and I'm happy to
have it - it's got people thinking and talking.  That's good!

> Actually she was an "All
> gifted" woman, and Zeus made her do what she did! We don't have a Zeus yet!
>
> 	SO
>
> Why don't we forget the Box and rescue Pandora. Already she has released her
> 'misery' here!

Nah!  No misery, really - lots of good ideas and lots of ideas on how
people want to use the HPSDR.

> Larry wants everything front mounted, my wife wants all the
> 'ugly stuff' rear mounted, Cecil suggested side mounted others below the
> table, some top shelf. Horst illustrated a home brew rack mount. So far the
> commenters have NOT agreed on ANYTHNIG box related. Most liked Pandora!

That's okay!  Yes, it makes the task a little more complicated, but I've
not yet come to the conclusion that all can't be happy.  Yet.  ;)

> I spent lunch searching through hundreds of Computer boxes. Last year I
> spent hours and hours Googling out the myriad of off the shelf extrusions,
> enclosures, even Rose Bopla custom enclosures. TenTec, FlexRadio were also
> in there! I never did find anything which had EXACTLY 6 slot openings.

I've not yet either, but did have a thought today.  If a power amp is
designed for the HPSDR, it will likely be more than one slot thick -
heatsinks and transformers and extra power wires to get in the
voltage/currents needed.  So, say if an 8-wide case is found, we can
simply say that the extra three slots are for a future power amp (or,
some yet-unknown card) that needs more space.

> I think the best you are going to get a consensus on is a really well
> thought out, brainstormed, L shaped subchassis, with 6 slots, perhaps with a
> slide in strip with 'grounding fingers' across the top to provide support
> and grounding. Just large enough to add screw mounts at each vertical corner
> and some surplus side to side and in back to mount cable management etc. The
> outside facing logo could say "Pandora" with a little block off to one side
> with arrow pointing (or down) saying "User Supplied Box".

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you've described above - spent
the day in a forest fire (which they call a controlled burn) at work and
am a bit foggy from the antihistamine due to all the smoke.  I'll
re-read this tomorrow and draw some pictures to myself and I'm sure I'll
understand.

> That way Horst can draw 2 more rails and suspend Pandora in 'mid-air' Larry
> can carve out a hole in the front, I can mount it on PCBoard stock, or
> modified Gamer enclosure and someone can come up with a neat masonite
> enclosure '50's style'.
>
> Just brainstorming here.

Brainstorming is good!

--