[hpsdr] Switches for Mixers

Chris Bartram chris at chris-bartram.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 05:40:46 PST 2007

I did a lot of work on switches in conjunction with a professional HF project
I was involved-in a couple of years ago, and the best devices I found were
microwave power HEMTs. Devices in the 2W region seemed about optimum.
Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, I can't say much more...

Also, although I'll also have to be a little circumspect for similar reasons,
the use of a (well designed!) microwave PLL divided down to HF in a simple
divider IS capable of impressive phase noise performance: the limitation
being the phase noise of the dividers. Their contribution is similar to the
phase noise contribution of the logic of a DDS... The discrete spurious
levels generated by a divided microwave PLL are a lot smaller though...

Incidentally, be cautious about the use of commodity ECL in synthesisers and
receivers. It can be very noisy. One of the reasons that the arrival of CMOS
was greeted with a sigh by those of us designing synthesisers at that time
was the very significant reduction in synthesiser phase noise of the then new
MOS synths wrt the early bipolar devices. Current mode logic frequency
dividers - which are still used in current synth. chips - are specifically
designed for low phase-noise performance.

Chris
GW4DGU