[hpsdr] Some things worthy of your attention

Howard Long hlong at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 8 07:34:56 PST 2007

Hi Jonathan

> The following book was recommended as being pretty damned good:
>
> > 1. Peter B. Kenington: RF and Baseband Techniques for Software
> > Defined Radio, ISBN 1-58053-793-6 (Artech House) This tome covers
> > practically all there is to SDR.
>
> No one had commented on it, and since I'm in the market for something
> like this (I already have Lyons for general DSP stuff). Amazon.com
> allows for browsing of pages of the book, and it looks good, but what
> do the experts think?
>
> Most of my learning up to now has been from disecting and refactoring
> the DttSP source code and adding new features like third method SSB
> generation, but there's no substtute for a sound formal understanding
> of a system.

This book spends its time entirely on the application of zero IF I/Q
methods. It is one layer up from giving you the schematics and source code.
It covers stuff like I/Q gain and phase imbalance, but not in the greatest
of detail.

Unsurprisingly, its main target audience is the cellular handset and
infrastructure folks.

I happened to come across it in Foyles in London about six months ago and at
the time it was right for me.

If you like a complete library or a sound introduction to current trends
then it's a good book, but I would suggest that if you're already knee deep
into the coding you may find it superfluous. If it was a $20 book, I'd say
yes, but at $100 it's a sharp intake of breath. Also, to be fair I wouldn't
call it a 'tome': it's rather more concise than that.

73, Howard G6LVB