[hpsdr] An high dynamic QSD front-end

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 14:27:54 PST 2007

Hello Gian:

Thank you for your many contributions in the mixer area, to the N2PK VNA
group (both of mine use your circuit boards), and more.   Here is what I
know from my own experience,  measurements done by Phil Covington,  Phil
Harman, and others.  From several QSD's I have measured and have seen
measured the rise in noise figure from (say) 14 to 54 MHz.   I see that
Marco has done the same with his very nice work.   In each case,  the
results are similar, if not identical to those I have measured or others
have measured.   In those cases where I have seen these kinds of mixers
done without the FST switches, but with different parts,  there is <<no
such rise in noise figure>>.  Marco's work has one thing different from
all of the other ISD implementations I have seen.  It uses the FST
switches you discovered for us.  ;-).   Marco's circuit has the rise in
NF which is NOT present in those ISD's I have seen measured which do NOT
have the FST's.  I am certain Marco is not sloppy and his work is
excellent and I am taking his graphs as the absolute truth.  The logical
implication from this is immediate.  The FST switches are the cause of
the rise.   I would like to minimize the amount of gain needed to make
the receiver usable at 10 and 6 meters.

I acknowledge your work and that of Marco.  I am giving my opinions on
the best way to proceed, fully aware of all of this work.  I read this
group every day and am grateful for all of the wonderful contributions
and sharing.

73's
Bob