[hpsdr] Proposal for Loop Antenna Project

Ken Klein kenklein at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 1 17:23:24 PDT 2007

Subject: RE: [hpsdr] Proposal for Loop Antenna Project

Tony;

Thanks a million for the comments.  I'm honestly hoping to get lots and lots
from the HPSDR folks for this project.

To address your questions, I think I have found at least a reasonable
starting point for your concerns.  There are several companies that have the
shafts, pillow blocks, couplings, and gears that should provide the
mechanical structure.  I just ordered a handful of parts from a company
called Stock Drive Products.  The sell small quantities to guys like us.

So I envision a motor driving a straight shaft coupled to the cap.  I'll be
using a 22-turn vacuum cap I just bought as well.  The shaft will be
threaded for a couple of inches, so that I can trap a nut to the shaft to
hit the limit switches.  I'm also going to use a couple of small timing belt
sprockets to drive a 10-turn pot for position information.

To tune, I'm going to deploy the antenna with the mechanicals in place and
tune the antenna using a VNA that I built (the Ten-Tec one available from
TAPR).  Any antenna analyzer could be used as well as the SDR itself.  I'm
going to tune the antenna every couple of kHz throughout the range of each
band covered by the antenna and note the position sensor voltage at each
point.  From that I'll make a lookup table that will have all these points
in code.  Each time the DDS frequency is changed; the servomotor will find
the closest resonant point from the table and run the motor to that
position.  This is how I'm going to tune the antenna.  I won't be looking
for receiver noise or SWR; I'll just be retuning the cap to the previously
determined resonant point for that frequency.  Of course, frequencies
between bands wouldn't need to be covered.  I'm figuring a couple of hundred
points in each band ought to do it.  Sounds like a lot, but it will only
have to be done once.  After that, it's all up to the program in the PIC.
Having the Ozy send the PIC the frequency information (DDS code) makes it
all pretty simple.

I hope I've explained this well enough.  Let me know if this answers your
concerns or if you want more detailed info.  I'm really just starting this,
so it might be awhile before I have worked out all the nitty-gritty.

Thanks again for the comments, and very 73s,

Ken WR5H