[hpsdr] Consider hosting fpga efforts on www.opencores.org?

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 20:12:29 PDT 2007

On 7/5/07, Tim Schoenfelder <hpsdr at timschoenfelder.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure where the HPSDR projects currently host their respective fpga
> software, however, hosting them or even having a link to them at the
> www.opencores.org website may increase their visibility and attract other
> developers and/or ideas.

svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/

Unless there is a specific deficiency with the current source code
repository, I really recommend not moving it.

Visibility and attractiveness are not the right sort of reasons to
move a source code repository. Code repositories (or revision control
software) are pretty pedestrian utilitarian resources. That's not even
looking at why I wouldn't move from a subversion server backwards to a
CVS server. If it works, and has good availability, I don't see any
reason to change that.

Personally, I don't think of OpenCores as the place to go for general
FPGA bits and pieces, rather I normally only go there when looking for
FPGA source for soft CPUs and similar bits, I don't use it as a
generic FPGA melting pot. A quick look and I didn't even see a large
number of DSP code modules hosted at OpenCores.org, so my gut says it
may not be worthwhile.

That's my thoughts, anyway.
-Michael, VE3TIX