[hpsdr] Blackfin

Greg Overkamp overkamp at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 17:59:28 PDT 2007

>> Is there any interest in an Atlas-pluggable
Blackfin board to replace
>> the PC and an alternative to Sasquash ?

>You can do an amazing amount of work with a 16-bit
fixed point DSP.  I
>happen to not be a Linux fan, and suspect burdening a
real-time,
>lightweight, memory- and CPU-constrained system with
the overhead of
>Linux should be carefully thought out. Maybe it has
been, I don't keep
>up with it.  I prefer my free tools to run under
Windoze (and not with
>cygwin!), but then again I'm not developing them :-)
And maybe the
>tools you mention have been ported to Windoze!

>Sasquatch is not happening very quickly, and isn;t on
the front burner
>around here (K3 has consumed my life) :-(

>Anyway, this sounds like a great idea, and probably
should be pursued.

>Go for it!

>73,

>Lyle KK7P

I am interested in hearing comments on doing high
dynamic range SDR
using 16-bit DSPs. How do the filters perform when,
for example,
trying to receive a very weak signal adjacent to a
strong one.
16-bit integer arithmetic seems to not take advantage
of the
24-bit converters that HPSDR is using for I/Q
baseband. I suppose
the Blackfin could to 32-bit integer math with a speed
penalty --
I think it can do a 32-bit multiply in three cycles.

Greg WD9DEX