[hpsdr] Blackfin

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan vu3rdd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 19:55:16 PDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Rob Frohne <frohro at wwc.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I don't mean to throw cold water on the idea.  It probably makes more
> sense in India where there may not be as many surplus PCs, laptops, etc.
> available at cheap prices.  It seems to me, for most of us it will be
> hard to beat a laptop interfaced via USB to Atlas et. al.  One of the
> things I really like about the way things are being done these days is
> that if you use PC's you can upgrade them easily, they are inexpensive
> and powerful.  I once build a DSP software based receiver
> (http://www.wallawalla.edu/frohro/R2_DSP/R2-DSP.html) using a Motorola
> EVM.  It was great until the evaluation boards were no longer available.
> Now nobody can duplicate it without finding an obsolete piece of
> hardware.  If we stick with PC's that isn't as likely to happen.  They
> have beautiful displays, etc.

I completely go with you Rob. The idea of seeing the whole spectrum
and what is going on to get a big picture is something one completely
miss in a plain old analog radio.

Of course yes, laptops are still an expensive thing in this place. I
still do not own one. But slowly they are becoming affordable and many
aer buying it as a primary computer.

I also agree with the others that a mini-ITX/MAC-mini solution is a
much better solution than anything else.

--
  Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD