[hpsdr] Blackfin

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 21:14:44 PDT 2007

> There's basically no other way to get high-quality audio into the PS3
> except
> for the HPSDR hardware. No FireWire, and there are no adequate USB2
> sound
> interfaces, period. HPSDR is it.

I think the best way to go in the long run is to simply NOT depend on
a high speed interface to a PC.  If the DSP is done inside the front
end
with say a Blackfin and converted to audio in the front end then all
you need the PC for is to serve as a control panel.  The PS3 is just
another kind of PC and would make a real nice display/control
device.

The cost of these DSP processors is getting to be lower than the cost
of
building a high speed interface.  What does the current HPSDR's USB
interface cost?  The Blackfin is $14.51.   You can still have the same
amount of flexibility too.  Then the front end is turned on it conects
the PC type computer - maybe even an Apple Mac Mini and downloads
software into the local DSP.  Because the software lives on the PC's
disk drive it's easy to change, no flashing of eeproms involved.

Now that ucLinux is on the Blackfin, the blackfin looks acts and
smells like a PC and does most everything a PC can do but only
it's an inch square and costs $15.  So really the idea, if you buy my
"Blackfin becomes PC" idea is to put the PC inside the RF front end
thereby making the need for a high speed interface moot.   One
then uses his desktop PC is if it were a dumb terminal to access
SDR software running on the Blackfin "PC".

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org
  KG6OMK/AG