[hpsdr] Blackfin

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Wed Jul 11 22:45:53 PDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Chris Albertson <chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think the best way to go in the long run is to simply NOT depend on
> a high speed interface to a PC.  If the DSP is done inside the front
> end
> with say a Blackfin and converted to audio in the front end then all
> you need the PC for is to serve as a control panel...

 It depends on how much SDR you want, how responsive you want it to be with
respect to Cognitive Radio issues, how much you want to allow for expansion
beyond the initial concept. The usual tradeoff involved in realizing a
device on a DSP chip rather than a CPU.

In other words, the best way to go in the *short* run may be the Blackfin,
but long-term, the CPU always wins.

There's a very persuasive series of articles in the Computer Music Journal
from the early 80's on a very closely-related topic. If you're curious I can
post the references. The issues are eerily similar to what we're facing in
SDR development right now.

73
Frank
AB2KT