[hpsdr] Blackfin

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 23:21:20 PDT 2007

--- Frank Brickle <brickle at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 7/12/07, Chris Albertson <chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > I think the best way to go in the long run is to simply NOT depend
> on
> > a high speed interface to a PC.  If the DSP is done inside the
> front
> > end
> > with say a Blackfin and converted to audio in the front end then
> all
> > you need the PC for is to serve as a control panel...
>

>  It depends on how much SDR you want, how responsive you want it to
> be with
> respect to Cognitive Radio issues, how much you want to allow for
> expansion
> beyond the initial concept. The usual tradeoff involved in realizing
> a device on a DSP chip rather than a CPU.

I'd agree if we were talking about a typical, traditional DSP chip.

I'm talking about putting a PC-like device inside the front
end not a typical DSP chip.  A PC-like device that can do anything
a PC can do.  This PC-like device loads software off a disk drive
(or a file server) has the concepts of "user account",
and could support a (remote) keyboard and display.

A DSP is hard to program and typically only runs one program
out of ROM and has limited RAM.  A PC-like device runs
software out of RAM and can run more types of software in
a multi-tasking environment.

Think of it as putting a second PC inside the front end
and then letting the two PCs (the one inside and the one
one your desk) "talk" over a normal medium bandwidth
connection, likely 100BaseT.

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org