[hpsdr] Blackfin

Naylor Jonathan naylorjs at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 03:49:07 PDT 2007

I think that all of this talk about having a dedicated DSP is backwards
thinking. One of the main points about SDRs and DSP is that it allows
for far more flexibility than conventional radios, and the ability to
do experiments easily. By using a PC as the backend, you gain immense
flexibility in terms of visualising a band, and the ability to play.
Adding a hardware backend is akin to making a clone of an existing
Japanese radio with little extra benefits.

I think tha portable argument doesn't carry much water, I think if you
were really that keen on /P then buy an FT817 which will be smaller and
lighter than any HPSDR based system. For larger /P operations (like
contests) then having a laptop available is no big issue.

HPSDR and other similar systems are about moving forward and beyond
what we already have, that's its appeal.

Jonathan  ON/G4KLX