[hpsdr] Blackfin

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 04:56:24 PDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Chris Albertson <chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I don't mean to throw cold water on the idea.  It probably makes
> > more
> > sense in India where there may not be as many surplus PCs, laptops,
> > etc. available at cheap prices.
>
> Even if the older PC is nearly free, What do you pay for the high speed
> interface?  If you place the DSP inside the SDR front end you don't
> need that interface.
>
> (BTW, I'd bet PCs are cheaper in India than in the US but I'm sure
> someone
> here will let us know)
>

> Chris Albertson
>   Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
>   Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org
>   KG6OMK/AG

You are just shifting the costs around.  The cost is pretty much the
same (or maybe more) because you are taking away the high speed
interface and then adding all the support circuitry for the on board
DSP chip.  It is not as simple as just plopping down a $15 chip on the
board.

You simply are not going to compete in cost/performance with COTS
hardware (like the PC) vs building your own DSP system... there has to
be other justifications for it than cost.

73 Phil N8VB