[hpsdr] Blackfin

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:38:22 PDT 2007

At 07:00 AM 7/13/2007, Chris Albertson wrote:

>Cost is in the $300+ range more or less and expect
>them to require 70 ~ 100 watts of power.  Many have built-in

Which is a bit heavy on the power side...  :-(

>When the processor is in the box what comes out of the box is
>the detected "product" be it audio, Morse code, Weather Fax,
>or text along with some control and display data.

Makes sense to me.  I see I'm likely to use two approaches to
operating a SDR in the shack.  For common modes, I would like to run
detatched from the radio, so the on board processor (be it Blackfin
or whatever)  does the heavy lifting, and the display and audio data
are sent across a network link.  The need to separate is a space and
comfort issue.  The shack here lives in a tiny space where it gets
cold in winter, so a remote user interface on a network connected PC
would be a nice addition.

However, there are times where someone might develop a mode on their
PC to test (or I might even learn the art of DSP programming
myself!).  In these instances, we would need to be able to bypass the
internal processor and send raw data to the PC for processing over
USB2 (assuming the current Ozy specs).  As I said a while back,
flexibility is the key.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com