[hpsdr] Blackfin

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:53:17 PDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Chris Albertson <chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>

> But what can one of these do that a Blackfin can't do?
> They still don't have the high speed interface you'd want.
> After all the ITX is still a PC and comes with the same
> USB or Ethernet that your desktop PC has.
>
> The Blackfin can do about the same job but with much less
> power and heat and 10X lower cost and 8X lass space.

I am still not convinced...  maybe I don't understand...  Linux runs
on the Blackfin which I understand is a 32 bit RISC CPU and a 16 bit
DSP unit.   The data from Janus is 24 bits and probably the same from
Mercury (or QS1RT).  How do you handle 24+ bits on the 16 bit DSP unit
(without a performance hit)?  There appears to be a Blackfin DSP
library in Linux but does it handle only 16 bit fixed point?

Phil N8VB