[hpsdr] Blackfin

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 04:15:31 PDT 2007

Philip Covington wrote:

> Check out my QS1RT project:
>
> <http://pcovington.blogspot.com/2007/07/qs1rt-verb-pcb.html>
>
> The VERB connects to the PCI Express (there will be a PCI version too)
> interface with either copper or optical fiber through SFP transceivers
> at 2.5 Gbps using TI TLK2701 SERDES chips on both ends.  One lane (1X)
> PCI Express is 2.5 Gbps so it matches nicely.
>
> I have successfully tested the system over 100 meters of fiber.   100
> meters is the longest length I could borrow for testing and not the
> limit.
>
> When external PCI Express become more widely available, it will be
> easy to use with the PLX PCI Express to local bus interface chip that
> I am using.
>
> 73 Phil N8VB

Very nice. So external PCI Express seems to be the best choice at the
moment.

With that board only being about 15cm square, one could mount it on the
tower, and then have an optical feed down to the PC on the ground.

If one had two antennas, each tuned to different bands, could one just
add the two ADC feeds and then do filtering and DSP processing, or would
it be better to do the filtering and DSP processing before combining the
ADC feeds? Obviously, some fine work would need to be done with cable
lengths to ensure the phasing was correct before adding to two feeds.

James