[hpsdr] computer memory added question

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 12:50:19 PDT 2007

At 10:26 PM 7/16/2007, michael taylor wrote:

>This is a good example why we weren't playing with SDR twenty years
>ago, it was not just the cost/availability of high performance A/D
>converters, but also the availability of low cost yet sufficient
>computing resources necessary to decode signals in "soft" real-time.

Well, I can tell you what it was like using 20 year old
technology.  During my uni years, I studied some DSP at an
introductory level, but we did get to do a bit of practical stuff
like implement filters and basic things like tone decoders.

We were using 12 bit A/D and D/A (some proprietary data acquisition
boards) and 10 or 12 MHz 80286 based machines (what would have been
state of the art in 1987 :) ).  Software wise, we were using C, which
was compiled using Borland Turbo C under DOS.  Only one of the
machines had an 80287 math co-processor.

Well, with these machines, the best sampling frequency we could
manage, while doing useful DSP work (such as basic filtering) was
around 200 - 400 Hz.  The machine with the co-processor managed
around 10 times that sample rate.

Fast forward to 2007, and it's nice to see most of us have PC
technology capable of doing complex (pun intended) processing at 96
or even 192 kHz sampling rates in real time, and at the same time,
manage a complex GUI (our DOS based stuff had no interface, we had to
monitor its performance using CROs and spectrum analysers.

Back then, one could only dream.  Now it's a reality (and I'd better
get the proverbial into gear and build my Atlas!). :)

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com