[hpsdr] Low power micro computer

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Fri Jul 27 11:18:29 PDT 2007

Larry wrote:

> This PC only runs at 500 MHz and has 256 MB non-expandable memory. Not
> to mention the sound chip set that they don't even mention. This box
> would make a nice little Linux server but I think it is totally under
> powered for an application like PowerSDR. I think that it would even
> have difficulty with Windows XP in spite of their claims.

It would probably run sdr-core in a headless configuration just
fine, however. What gobbles the cycles is the display, pure and
simple. DttSP was originally developed on a 533 MHz/256 Mb
Celeron, and it still runs there. Even better than before,
actually, thanks to improvements in the Linux kernel.

73
Frank
AB2KT

--
Managing developers is like herding cats.
Managing volunteer developers is like herding bats, in the dark.