[hpsdr] Low power micro computer

Edson Pereira ewp_jp at ybb.ne.jp
Sat Jul 28 05:47:45 PDT 2007

Frank Brickle wrote:

>Larry wrote:
>

>>This PC only runs at 500 MHz and has 256 MB non-expandable memory. Not
>>to mention the sound chip set that they don't even mention. This box
>>would make a nice little Linux server but I think it is totally under
>>powered for an application like PowerSDR. I think that it would even
>>have difficulty with Windows XP in spite of their claims.
>>

>It would probably run sdr-core in a headless configuration just
>fine, however. What gobbles the cycles is the display, pure and
>simple. DttSP was originally developed on a 533 MHz/256 Mb
>Celeron, and it still runs there. Even better than before,
>actually, thanks to improvements in the Linux kernel.

I still use my 500 MHz laptop with 96 MB of memory for running sdr-core
and sdr-shell.
This is with Debian, Xorg, and OpenBox as Window Manager. sdr-shell does
not scroll
the screen for the spectrogram (waterfall); instead, it scans the screen
from top to bottom.
This reduces the CPU utilization considerably.

73,

-- Edson, pu1jte, n1vtn, jf1afn