[hpsdr] Jan/Ozy Spurious Signals

Joe Barger barger at aero.org
Fri Jun 1 13:59:24 PDT 2007

First, a big thanks to all the people responsible for getting the HPSDR so
far so fast.  Amazing!

I've got the Janus/Ozy/Atlas combo with a Pico PS running.  Attached is a
picture with nothing attached to the Janus inputs, the USB and SDR1000
parallel cable connected to the Ozy, sampling at 96K, SDR1000 off.  The
absolute level probably isn't calibrated real well in these tests, but the
relative levels are what I'm interested in right now.  There are strong
spurious spikes, as can be seen in the picture.  Switching SR on and off
moves the spikes some as expected, but has no effect on the level.  I can't
find any other SDR1000 control that affects the spikes significantly.

If I switch to the D44 card under the same conditions (nothing on the D44
inputs, 96K sampling), there are no strong spikes (second picture).

It seems to me there's something in my Janus/Ozy/Atlas setup causing these
spurious spikes since Athi's pictures under similar conditions are very
clean and when using the D44 there are no spurious spikes.

When I connect all the inputs and run the SDR1000 everything seems fine
except there is a hump in frequency response centered in the middle of the
sampling range (see third picture).  The hump is even more pronounced when
sampling at 196K.  The D44 shows a much smaller hump (see fourth picture).

Anyone got some idea's about what's going on and how to fix the spurious
spikes and the hump?

Thanks

joe n6kk