[hpsdr] Gibratlar VCTCXO

Grant Hodgson grant at ghengineering.co.uk
Fri Jun 15 03:18:08 PDT 2007

Rakon are developing a VCTCXO with a temperature stability of 0.14ppm
over the range -20 - +70C.  Part number is IVT5300D (the 'V' means it is
a VCTCXO, i.e. it can be pulled with an external voltage).

I've received some very early samples for evaluation for the uWSDR
project; the phase noise spec. looks better than other TCXOs and the
temperature stability is better than some OCXOs.  Price is expected to
be about GBP22 for 100 off quantities, falling to GBP11 (eleven pounds)
for 1000 off.  At the moment GBP1 = USD2.  That's far less than any new
OCXO.

Data is here :-
http://www.rakon.com/models/browse-model?model_id=262&model_type=O

I had to wait 5 months for the samples, I was one of, if not the, first
to receive them, and I'm not sure if they are in full production yet;
the data is still shown as preliminary.   However, I think this part
would be a good contender for use on Gibraltar.

In the past, if you wanted a GPS-locked reference then you had to use an
OCXO because there was a lot of jitter on the PPS signal from the GPS
receiver - 1uS or more.  This needed averaging over a long period,
sometimes over an hour, and the crystal oscillator had to be stable
during that time, so an OCXO was needed.  Modern GPS receivers designed
specifically for timing have jitters in the 10s of nS, and so the
averaging period can be much less and a lower-spec. crystal oscillator
such as a good TCXO can be used with similar results at a fraction of
the cost and with a quicker lock time.

OK, it's a bit more complicated than that in practise but that's the
essence of it.

regards

Grant  G8UBN